HACL W4: Knights 25 – 20 Stags

HACL, Week 4

Article by Tom Green…

Bught Park, Inverness


Scoring Summary

1st Half

CHA 6-0 BLA – Hilditch (Interception for TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 6-6 BLA – Maclean to Lewis Taylor (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 6-12 BLA – Holleyoake (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 12-12 BLA – Campbell to Blackhall (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 13-12 BLA – Campbell to Blackhall (1pt Conversion)

2nd Half

CHA 19-12 BLA – Robertson (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 19-18 BLA – Maclean to Brannen (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 25-18 BLA – Robertson (TOUCHDOWN)

CHA 25-20 BLA – Brannen (DEUCE)

Photo by Scott MacDonald

Photo by Scott MacDonald

In week 4 the Charleston Academy Knights won a tight encounter against the Black Isle Stags, in effectively the rehearsal before next week’s final, 25-20 in Inverness last Saturday. The game was so tightly contested that Black Isle had an opportunity to win the game on the final second of the clock after scoring a deuce (when a player on the defense intercepts the ball and scores on an extra point attempt) on the previous drive.

The Stags won the toss and started with possession of the ball. Unfortunately, for the Stags, the Knights’ defense started off the game aggressively and were rewarded almost immediately when Lewis Hilditch intercepted quarterback James Maclean to score the opening touchdown of the game. The Knights were unable to convert the touchdown.

The Stags’ offense quickly recovered after this small set back and was able to score on the very next drive when Maclean found receiver Lewis Taylor on the end of a touchdown pass. This touchdown also went unconverted.

The Stags now had the momentum in the game and shut the Knights’ offense down forcing them to have a quick 4 and out. Black Isle then capitalised on the situation and took the lead for the first time in the game when running back Kyle Holleyoake rushed into the endzone to give the Stags a 6 point lead. They were once again unable to convert their touchdown.

After this, the Knights fought back and were able to tie the game up once more when quarterback Calvin Campbell found Sam Blackhall on the end of his touchdown throw. This time, the Knights were able to convert the touchdown as Blackhall on the very next play found Stewart again to retake the lead. This would turn out to be the last scoring drive of the half as both defenses stepped up for the last 4 drives before the halftime intermission.

After the halftime break, Charleston was able to increase their lead to 7 points when running back Craig Robertson rushed the endzone on the first drive of the half. The conversion attempt which followed the touchdown was unsuccessful but it left the Knights in a strong position.

This lead was then narrowed on the next drive when Maclean threw a touchdown pass to Dean Brannen which shrunk the Knights lead to only 1 point. The Stags would have taken the lead on the next play but the stoic Charleston defense held steadfast to maintain the edge.

Charleston was then held up by the Black Isle defense who then came close to scoring on the following drive only to be held up outside of the Charleston endzone. The Knights’ offense then rallied and Robertson scored his second touchdown of the day to give the Knights a 7 point lead with only one second remaining on the game clock. On the conversion attempt, Dean Brannen intercepted a loose pass from Campbell to score a deuce. This narrowed the Knights’ lead to 5 points and meant that the Stags were now in a situation to win the game with an unconverted touchdown on the final play.

Unfortunately, for the Stags, the passing play was incomplete which meant that Charleston won the ball game. The Knights then went on to complete a perfect regular season campaign by defeating the Inverness High School Predators 50-6 in their final match up. The Stags then went on to defeat the Inverness Royal Academy Sharks 64-6 in their last game of the regular season.

Check back later in the week for the “Road to Highland Bowl” preview!



#highlandwildcats on Instagram



Get the Facebook Likebox Slider Pro for WordPress